Saturday, May 30, 2009

New-Found Technologies and My Career

Over the past few weeks, thanks to one of my masters courses, I have been exposed to new technologies easily found on the web. These sites and applications have been interesting and fun. In my career, however, I would not use these technologies. My career is based on confidentiality for the athletes I work with. I would not use twitter, facebook, flickr, or blogger for my professional use. These are inappropriate and risky when dealing with sensitive issues, and I see no place for them in my current position and field. I could definitely use these socially, to keep in touch with friends and family, but would never post anything related to my work. I could, however, use Bloglines and GoogleDocs. Bloglines would make it much easier for me to stay connected with the outside world and the latest news on my favorite sports teams as well as the other athletic teams at my university. When I am on the road with track & field I can easily find out how the baseball team did at USC, or how tennis dominated at NCAAs. With GoogleDocs I could create daily treatment logs while on the road or create educational documents and updates and send them to student interns. I can manage presentations and create inventory spreadsheets to stay on top of what we need to order. I definitely think that all of these technologies have their place in the world, just maybe not in the field of Sports Medicine.

1 comment:

  1. Kristin,
    I agree with you on how these specific technologies fit into both our personal lives and work environment. If it wasn't for this class I wouldn't of set up a facebook or twitter account. These are things I may continue to use at the conclusion of the class. Hopefully others in our profession feel the same way and do not use these technologies as way to share information from there work places.

    ReplyDelete